Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
The Air Force Historical Research Agency is the repository for Air Force historical documents. The Agency's collection, begun in Washington, DC, during World War II, moved in 1949 to Maxwell Air Force Base, the site of Air University, to provide research facilities for professional military education students, the faculty, visiting scholars, and the general public. It consists today of over 100,000,000 pages devoted to the history of the service, and represents the world's largest and most valuable organized collection of documents on US military aviation.
More than 90% of the Agency's pre-1955 holdings are declassified. The Agency's collection is also recorded on 16mm microfilm, with microfilm copies deposited at the National Archives and Records Administration and the Air Force Historical Studies Office (AFHSO), Anacostia Naval Annex, Washington D.C.
Because our collection consists of invaluable one-of-a-kind documents, we ask that patrons observe the following rules: