Special Weapons Command
Published January 10, 2008
The Special Weapons Command was created to direct specialized organizations dealing with atomic and other unconventional weapons. Because much of the work involved research and development, the command was eventually absorbed by the Air Research and Development Command.
Established as Special Weapons Command, a major command, on December 1, 1949. Redesignated Air Force Special Weapons Center, and assigned to Air Research and Development Command, on April 1, 1952, losing major command status. Inactivated on April 1, 1976.