Air Force Logistics Command
Published January 10, 2008
Although the logistics function can be traced back to the earliest days of the Air Service, the functional antecedents of Air Force Logistics Command (AFLC) usually are not traced beyond October 15, 1926, when the Materiel Division was set up near Dayton, Ohio. The Materiel Division, controlled by the Office of the Chief of the Air Corps, possessed many characteristics of a major command. It brought together four major functions, research and development (R&D), procurement, supply, and maintenance, performed previously by three organizations. On December 11, 1941, these four functions were divided between two organizations. The Materiel Command assumed responsibility for R&D and procurement, and the Air Service Command assumed the supply and maintenance functions. Placed under AAF Materiel and Services in July 1944, the two commands were subsequently abolished on August 31, 1944. The R&D function was again separated with the establishment and organization of the Research and Development Command in 1950, leaving the logistics organization responsible for procurement, supply, and maintenance. Functions of AFLC merged with those of Air Force Systems Command to form Air Force Materiel Command on July 1, 1992.
Established as Army Air Forces Materiel and Services on July 14, 1944. Organized as a major command on July 17, 1944. Redesignated: Army Air Forces Technical Service Command on August 31, 1944; Air Technical Service Command on July 1, 1945; Air Materiel Command on March 9, 1946; and Air Force Logistics Command on April 1, 1961. Inactivated on July 1, 1992.