HomeAbout UsFact SheetsDisplay

Pacific Air Command

Pacific Air CommandSeventh Air Force evolved from the Hawaiian Air Force that was originally established to control a growing number of air units arriving in the Territory of Hawaii in 1940. Following World War II it was briefly a named command before inactivating. HQ USAF revived the Seventh Air Force to serve Pacific Air Forces during the conflict in Southeast Asia when the growth of forces required a replacement for the 2d Air Division. It has been active under Pacific Air Forces in South Korea since 1986.

Lineage
Established as Hawaiian Air Force on October 19, 1940. Activated on November 1, 1940, at Fort Shafter, Territory of Hawaii, and assigned to Hawaiian Department, U.S. Army. Moved to Hickam Field, Territory of Hawaii, in July 1941. Redesignated 7th Air Force on February 5, 1942, and Seventh Air Force on September 18, 1942. Became part of U.S. Army Forces, Central Pacific Area, about August 16, 1943, and assigned to Army Air Forces, Pacific Ocean Areas, on August 1, 1944. Moved to Saipan, Mariana Islands, in December 1944. Moved to Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands, and assigned to Far East Air Forces (later, Pacific Air Command, U.S. Army), effective July 14, 1945. Moved without personnel or equipment to Hickam Field, Territory of Hawaii, on January 1, 1946. Assigned to Army Air Forces on January 1, 1947. Redesignated Pacific Air Command on December 15, 1947. Discontinued on June 1, 1949. Redesignated Seventh Air Force on December 10, 1954. Activated at Hickam Field, Territory of Hawaii, on January 5, 1955, and assigned to Pacific Air Force (later, Pacific Air Force/FEAF [Rear]). Moved to Wheeler AFB, Territory of Hawaii, in March 1955. Inactivated on July 1, 1957. Activated on March 28, 1966, and assigned to Pacific Air Forces. Organized on April 1, 1966, at Tan Son Nhut Airfield, South Vietnam. Moved to Nakhon Phanom Airport, Thailand, effective March 29, 1973. Inactivated on June 30, 1975. Assigned to Pacific Air Forces on August 20, 1986, and activated at Osan AB, South Korea, on September 8, 1986.