Air War College (AETC)
Published December 14, 2018
Lineage. Established as Air War College, and organized on 22 Dec 1948. Redesignated: War College on 1 Jul 1959; Air War College on 1 Jul 1962.
Assignments. Air University, 22 Dec 1948-.
Stations. Maxwell AFB, AL, 22 Dec 1948-.
Antecedent. On 12 Mar 1946, the function began with the establishment of the Air War College (a non-unit, named activity). Two years later, it was replaced by Headquarters, Air War College (a permanent establishment). When it was redesignated War College on 1 Jul 1959, it lost its headquarters and became a miscellaneous unit, equivalent to squadron level. The functional non-unit is not lineally connected to the permanent unit.
Service Streamers. None.
Campaign Streamers. None.
Armed Forces Expeditionary Streamers. None.
Decorations. Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards: 15 Aug 1966-31 Dec 1967; 1 Nov 1970-31 Oct 1972; 1 Jul 1975-30 Jun 1977; 1 Jan 1981-30 Apr 1982. Air Force Organizational Excellence Awards: 1 Jul 1993-30 Jun 1995; 1 Jul 1995-30 Jun 1997; 1 Jul 2000-30 Jun 2002; 1 Oct 2003-30 Sep 2005.
Lineage, Assignments, Stations, and Honors through 21 Jul 2008.
Emblem. Approved on 10 Aug 1953. Continued use of the shield emblem following loss of headquarters in 1959. During Chief of Staff of the Air Force emblem review in 1993, AFHRA determined that continued use of the shield was consistent with the Chief of Staff’s guidance and intent, and it could retain the approved shield emblem until requests for revisions or changes.
Prepared by Carl E. Bailey
Reviewed by Daniel L. Haulman